16 Weeks in Scotland

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Beginning to Work

Ugh -- we've spent the last two days in orientation and training and planning for the arrival of the students on Thursday. It's all useful and necessary information, but my head is hurting from the piling on of it. I've spent the last four hours in front of the computer, printing out short stories for my students to read, reading research on the Gothic, and trying to decide just how to divide the class days. "I'm back in the saddle agin," but it feels pretty comfortable to be working here; they've set up a comfortable (though communal) office, and other than the severe restrictions (severe compared to my home campus) on photo-copying, I find the work atmosphere familiar and pleasant.

This morning, I felt a little homesick for my kitchen and the ease of preparing my own food, shopping for food (can't quite figure out the grams vs. ounces thing), etc., but that passed as we plunged into the work day.

We're realizing how expensive everything is; it costs about 2 pounds (that's almost $5 for you Yanks) just to do a load of laundry. And it's deceptive; the number seems right (£1.30 for a pot of tea in a shop), but then you do the conversion and you realize just how much is coming out of your paycheck (too bad UW isn't paying me in pounds!). Dennis's new motto for the UK: "Half as much for twice the price!"

But, the folks are nice, the house is beautiful, and what other chance would we have to practice our profession in another country? I'm excited about our Wisconsin students getting here and experiencing some of the "eye-opening" that we've had.

Okay -- off to assemble a salad to contribute to the house pot-luck!

Gin

2 Comments:

  • Hello you two. I am missing you all as well. I appreciate the wonderful e-mail today Dennis. However, you all may have to figure out this Skype thing so that we talk about all the things that come to mind without typing them. That would be good.

    I look forward to more trout shots, no matter the size. I don't care what anyone says, the fishing's really not about the fish. Lots of fish are a good thing, but some of the most meaningful days on the water can result in 6" trout, or no trout at all. Doing it all in the birthplace of flyfishing has to be completely sublime. I envy you. Any you too Virginia. What an interesting experience to practice your craft so far from home. You'll become a different teacher for sure. Take care, Fred.

    By Blogger Fred, at 5:35 PM  

  • I think it was more expensive than that when I was in Dublin a couple of years ago. But you just grin and bear it...like most of the people there who have been paying four dollars a LITER for gas for a long time.

    Love you and for some reason I keep hearing "Mr. Dees, Mr. Dees" in my head this morning.

    Love

    Fizz!

    By Blogger Kristopher Shaw, Director, at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home